Filed under Showcase, Student Life

A Glimpse of the Real World

Junior Job Shadowing Day

Back to Article
Back to Article

A Glimpse of the Real World

Students like Sierra Guluzian helped decorate desserts at Gigi’s Cupcakes and Fred Zhang experienced working in an air traffic control tower at Norfolk International Airport.  It was an eye-opening day for all!

Students like Sierra Guluzian helped decorate desserts at Gigi’s Cupcakes and Fred Zhang experienced working in an air traffic control tower at Norfolk International Airport. It was an eye-opening day for all!

On Wednesday, April 3, while freshmen and seniors participated in community service and sophomores toured the College of William and Mary and Christopher Newport University, the Class of 2020 exited the classroom and entered the workforce for the annual Job Shadowing Day.  This event allows juniors to experience a day in the life of the profession of their choice. This day was designed to reassure people of what they want to make their career, discover a new possibility, or help them determine that it is not the best fit for them.

Students submitted their top choices of occupations to Mr. Angilly, who along with Mrs. Speight and Ms. Bryer matched students with job hosts who volunteered to spend their day with CHC students.  Some of the organizations that students visited included Operation Smile, Downs Dental Care, Achievable Dream Academy, WAVY 10 News, The Memory Center, Gigi’s Cupcakes and more. Not really sure of what to do, Allie Angelo (‘20) said she wanted to follow a veterinarian so she could “test the waters,” so she went to the SPCA and shadowed Kate Baldwin. When talking about what she did on Wednesday, Allie mentioned, “It was really more about seeing a non-profit organization than being a vet.  It was cool to see how everything pieces together.” Even though it was a little different from what she expected, Allie’s day was still a valuable experience for her.

Thank you again to all of the generous job hosts who welcomed Cape Henry’s junior class.