Athlete of the Week – Mary Grace Fowler – Week of March 29, 2019

Picking up where she left off last season, this week’s Athlete of the Week, senior Mary Grace Fowler, is helping to lead the charge for a potent Dolphin attack. The Varsity Girls Lacrosse program has raced out to an impressive 3-1 start to the 2019 season, and with a supremely athletic roster, the girls are poised to make a run deep into the postseason. Behind Mary Grace’s ability to compose and direct the offense, Dolphin Girls Lacrosse currently boasts a #2 ranking in the first DII State rankings.

“Mary Grace has stepped up as the leader of the offense so far this season. She picked up where she left off last year, completely embracing her role as a commander of the attack,” Head Coach Kim Dooren said of Mary Grace Fowler. “She has tuned into the coaches and is applying the concepts reviewed in practice to the games. She is honestly evaluating herself and her performance, as well as, bringing an unmatched passion for Lacrosse to the turf each day.”

Throughout competition last week, Mary Grace guided the Dolphins to a 1-1 record, including a win over Maury High School and a tightly contested loss to Sidwell Friends School. While Fowler did not find the back of the net in Tuesday’s matchup with Maury High School, the intangibles she brought to the table allowed the Dolphin offense to flow throughout the contest. Moving forward to Friday’s matchup with Sidwell Friends School, Fowler connected for two first-half goals as the Dolphins commanded an 8-4 halftime lead. The Dolphins ultimately fell, 12-13, to a talented opposition, but the grit and determination Fowler demonstrated throughout the night earned her team-MVP honors due to her leadership, impeccable attitude, and exceptional execution.

“As a Senior, MG is making her last season in a Cape Henry Collegiate uniform count,” Head Coach Kim Dooren continued of Mary Grace. “We are expecting great things from her throughout the season and expect her to continue to be a scoring threat. With the buy-in throughout her career, she has seen the results and has been a driving force on attack.  She is never complacent to just be on the attack, but consistently strives to be an impact player day-in and day-out.”

To this point in the season, Mary Grace has accumulated eight goals, two assists, and is well on her way to another remarkable season. In her Varsity Girls Lacrosse career, Fowler has converted just over 60 goals totaling an impressive 72 total career points. With a possible 18 games remaining in her Cape Henry Collegiate athletic career, Mary Grace is on course to finish with over 100 career points.

“MG has made great strides in her work ethic and her accountability throughout her career with Varsity Girls Lacrosse. She has been receptive to constructive criticism and has matured not only as a player but also as a person over the course of her four-year career. Mary Grace is becoming more vocal in her leadership role, and is willing to make her teammates better with her unselfish play,” Coach Dooren finished of Mary Grace.

Last season’s 2nd Team All-TCIS and 2nd Team All-State recipient, Mary Grace Fowler, and the rest of the Dolphin Varsity Girls Lacrosse roster are set to travel to Falls Church, Virginia for back-to-back games this weekend against Westfield High School and Centerville High School. With Mary Grace Fowler rolling on the attack, the Dolphins are gearing up for a TCIS and State Championship run.