Athlete of the Week – Christian Moore – Week of February 1, 2019

Quiet, respectful, and kind in the Cape Henry Collegiate hallways, this week’s Athlete of the Week, sophomore captain Christian Moore flips the switch when on the hardwood to become one of the most vocal and tenacious leaders on the court. The first-year captain found his voice on the basketball court, and the Dolphins’ Varsity Basketball program has reaped the benefits of his newfound confidence in his role within the Varsity Basketball program.

“He is a well-liked student-athlete who engages in many activities and is always willing to help out without being asked,” Head Coach Mark Hall said of Christian Moore. “Students and athletes look up to him as the voice of reason. He has become more vocal while consistently setting the tone both on and off the court.”

Christian has emerged as the consummate leader, captaining the Varsity Basketball roster despite being an up and coming sophomore. He has learned to lead on, as well as, off the court, whereas last season, Moore was reluctant to let his voice be heard. This 360 transition from a season ago, has led the Dolphins to a 7-0 conference record and a 15-4 overall record including three wins last week against Walsingham Academy, Steward School, and Granby High School.

Christian kicked off last week’s competition with 29 points in an overtime victory against the perennially talented Walsingham Academy team. Moore followed his game-leading performance with a second incredible outing of the week against Steward School, helping to hold off a late Spartan run as he buried four 3-pointers en route to a 21-point night. Closing out the week’s competition, Christian was instrumental in defeating the Area’s third-ranked program as the Dolphins took down Granby High School, 74-68, behind Moore’s 12 points and eight assists. Throughout play last week, Christian averaged a team-high in both points and assists with 20.6 points per game and six assists per game.

“Christian is a highly scouted player in the area, with many of the teams who scout us singling out Christian as one of the most prolific sharpshooters in Tidewater,” Coach Hall continued of Moore. “We have multiple weapons this year, and Christian continues to be one of the most powerful in our arsenal. What helps us the most, he has continued to improve in every category at the guard position from a year ago.”

As a freshman, impressively, Christian averaged 10 points per game and three assists per game. Now that he has accepted being a leader and knows his role on the courts, Christian has flourished. As a sophomore this season, Moore is the second leading scorer with 16 points per game and six assists per game. However, as you watch the Dolphins play, Christian’s consistent and smooth demeanor on the court is what allows the Dolphins to remain unbeaten in conference play. His confidence in who he needs to become on the court is a testament to the work he puts in every single day.

Coach Hall finished of Christian, “He is always willing to come early and stay late after practice to work on mechanics and lateral movement. While there is always room for improvement defensively, the coaching staff is most impressed with his intensity and love for the game.”

Christian Moore is poised to continue leading the Varsity Basketball program in the seasons to come. However, his focus is on what he needs to accomplish each day to win the TCIS and the VISAA tournament this season as the post-season is looming. The Dolphins host Flint Hill on Saturday, February 2 for a critical matchup with State Tournament implications on the line. Christian and the Dolphins will lean on the success of the season as they make a run at climbing the state rankings.