Filed under Sports, Student Life

GUNbeyi Bangs in a Goal

CHC Alumnus Sebastian Gunbeyi Finds Success at Columbia University

Back to Article
Back to Article

GUNbeyi Bangs in a Goal

Top left - Gunbeyi chasing down a ball against Rutgers

Top right - Sebastian with his parents after signing for Columbia

Bottom left - Sebastian in his final season as a dolphin against Steward School

Bottom right - Sebastian celebrates with Bryce Harrison (‘18) in the TCIS Finals

Top left - Gunbeyi chasing down a ball against Rutgers Top right - Sebastian with his parents after signing for Columbia Bottom left - Sebastian in his final season as a dolphin against Steward School Bottom right - Sebastian celebrates with Bryce Harrison (‘18) in the TCIS Finals

Many college athletes go into their freshman year thinking they will never get to play, and they will just use that year to develop as an athlete and settle into their classes.  However, this certainly was not the case with Cape Henry alumni Sebastian Gunbeyi (‘18). Sebastian has been getting regular minutes as a freshman, as he has played in ten out of twelve games for the Lions this season, including seven starts.  Although Sebastian was getting regular minutes as a striker, he struggled to find the goal early on in the season, having played his first seven games and one assist. It took him eight games to finally score his goal, but it was probably the best possible time for him to score it.  It was tied 0-0 with Dartmouth as the game went into a golden goal overtime. Five minutes into overtime, Sebastian capitalized on an error made by a Dartmouth defender and sends the ball into the net to win the game on national television, for all his friends and family to see. Carter Atherton (‘20) says that he was watching the game live and when he saw the goal he “immediately stood up and started celebrating and recording his TV.”  Sebastian says this goal was “easily the greatest moment of his collegiate career so far.” His goal earned him the award of Ivy League Player of the Week. Since his goal, Sebastian has gone on to get the game-winning assist in their 2-1 win vs Harvard. Sebastian says that he is “really starting to find his form.” He is “playing with confidence and is excited about the playoffs.”

Like every athlete, Sebastian’s success did not just come to him overnight.  “With my time spent with Sebastian, I was able to see him show up to train every single day, never just going through the motions.  He also worked a lot on his own, which is key in becoming a top athlete,” says current Cape Henry soccer captain, George Selemaj (‘19).  In Sebastian’s final two years at Cape Henry, he was able to score 51 goals and provide 22 assists, placing his in First Team All-State both years, and both VISAA State Player of the Year runner-up and Tidewater player of the year runner-up.  His success was no accident. When asked one word to describe him, Carter Atherton says “determined.” George Selamaj says one word to describe Sebastian is “passionate,” because he loves what he does and does whatever he can to make himself better at it.  Both as a player and as a student, Sebastian strives to become the best he can possibly be. He claims that his “parents, coaches, and teammates” have been very influential in making him who he is, claiming that they have been so incredibly supportive of him in his journey through high school, and now through college.  It is very apparent that Sebastian will continue to be successful in his collegiate career, hopefully adding many more goals to his name.

1 Comment

One Response to “GUNbeyi Bangs in a Goal”

1. Sebastian Gunbeyi on November 13th, 2018 8:45 pm

Can’t express how much this means to me. I wouldn’t want anybody else writing this. Love you John, awesome job. Good luck at VCU next year. #lionsandrams

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• GUNbeyi Bangs in a Goal

Showcase

May 18th – Girls Lacrosse – VISAA State Semi-Finals and Finals Tournament

• GUNbeyi Bangs in a Goal

Showcase

A Glimpse of the Real World

• GUNbeyi Bangs in a Goal

Features

Brie Larson Makes Herstory in Exceptional “Captain Marvel”

• GUNbeyi Bangs in a Goal

Showcase

The First Ever CHC Senior March Madness Ping Pong Extravaganza

• GUNbeyi Bangs in a Goal

Features

Friendship – From CHC to VCU…and beyond!

• GUNbeyi Bangs in a Goal

Features

Upper School Cabaret

• GUNbeyi Bangs in a Goal

Features

Distinguished Speaker Kenyon Salo Brings Mixed Reviews

• GUNbeyi Bangs in a Goal

Opinion

Top 10 TV Shows of 2018

• In the Spotlight

Humans of CHC: Dr. Chris Garran, Head of School

• Showcase

TCIS Championship Victory for Field Hockey

GUNbeyi Bangs in a Goal