Tucker Bruner – Athlete of the Week – December 15, 2017

This week’s Athlete of the Week, junior Tucker Bruner, has consistently worked to put himself in a position to become a leader for the Dolphin Wrestling program. The lifelong wrestler is now seeing his hard work come to fruition.

“Tucker paid his dues in our fitness center in the off-season, and because of this he has been wrestling great this season,” Head Coach Jack Effner said of Tucker. “Tucker consistently came in before school or he would stay after school to strength train.” This work has paid off for Tucker. He is currently 6-0 on the season with a perfect 3-0 finish in this past weekend’s Peninsula Catholic Wrestling Invitational, earning 1st place honors in the 126 lbs weight class.

Physical strength and success in a sport such as wrestling are synonymous, and for Tucker, he is reaping the benefits.

“He is physically so much stronger than his opponents and I believe this is his biggest asset right now,” Effner continued. While physical strength is necessary to success in wrestling, Tucker’s dedication and willingness to be better has shown this season. “Tucker is strong, but he is also very technically sound. He has wrestled for a long time. He started as a youth in the Great Neck Wrestling Club, continued as he attended Cape Henry summer wrestling camps throughout Lower School and Middle School, and now he is wrestling in High School.”

The High School junior currently boasts a career record of 38-21. Tucker competed in one match as an eighth-grade student, but the experience and lessons have aided in the success he sees today. As a freshman, Tucker wrestled in the 113 lbs weight class and earned a 14-10 record with 10 pins. In his sophomore season, he wrestled in the 126 lbs weight class with 18 wins, 11 of which were pins, and placed second in the TCIS.

“Tucker is very dependable and hardworking. He seldom complains and is always willing to help our program whenever possible,” Coach Effner added of Tucker. Tucker will look to continue his successful 2017-2018 wrestling season as the Dolphins look to earn another TCIS Wrestling Championship.