Michael White – Athlete of the Week – December 10th

You will be hard-pressed to find a more well-rounded student-athlete than this week’s Athlete of the Week, senior Michael White. With an extraordinary résumé and unrivaled work ethic, Michael continues to impress as the fourth year Varsity Wrestler enters his final season with Cape Henry.

“Michael was awarded the top 138 pounder honors in our home opener,” Head Coach Jack Effner said of Michael. “He finished the day with a perfect overall record of 5-0, with wins coming against Indian River, Norfolk Christian, Northampton, Peninsula Catholic, and St. John Paul the Great.”Michael’s commitment to his teammates and his coaches has continued to garner respect from all around him. Coach Effner continued, “After four weeks of practice, Michael has established himself as our team leader. His peers and coaches voted him team captain based on his continued demonstrated leadership potential.”

Over the course of the Cape Henry Collegiate Wrestling Invitational, Michael recorded five important wins for the Dolphins. Michael’s first match resulted in a 7-3 decision in favor of the Dolphin captain over Indian River, followed by a forfeit win versus Norfolk Christian. However, this was no surprise. “Michael has consistently gained strength from his committed time in our fitness center this year,” Coach Effner said of Michael. In his match against Northampton, Michael earned his first pin of the day in the 57th second, before earning his second forfeit win of the night against Peninsula Catholic. In his final match, Michael earned his second pin at the four-minute mark against St. John Paul the Great.

Michael, a Laila Serpe Distinguished Scholar, National Honor Society member, Spanish Honor Society member, Math Honor Society member, Peer leader, Cum Laude Society member, Karl Tewes Award recipient, two-time Three Sport Varsity Athlete award recipient and student council Vice-President, can do it all.

Michael competed as the Dolphins’ 106lbs as a freshman compiling a record of 8-16, while earning third place in the TCIS and qualifying for the VISAA State tournament. In his sophomore season, competing as the 113lbs, Michael finished 18-11 with a fourth-place TCIS finish and qualified for the VISAA State tournament once again. In his junior season, Michael competed as Cape Henry’s 126lbs earning 16 wins before an elbow injury brought his season to an end.

“Michael has been a consistent hard worker in his fourth year in our program,” Coach Effner finished. “He is a top student, athlete, and an active member of the community.” Already 5-0 on the season, Michael and the rest of the Dolphin Wrestling program look to continue the success and make a run deep into the postseason during the 2017-2018 Wrestling season.