!VAMOS A PERU!

Providing another unforgettable adventure, Cape Henry’s Nexus program will journey to one of the seven wonders of the world this summer.

In mid June, 14 students travel to Peru on a trip of service, culture and extraordinary sightseeing, embarking upon an experience that will challenge and excite their intellectual and spiritual personalities. The group will face new challenges, and, once these challenges are overcome, they will realize new passions and understand cultures that feel a world away.

The two-week trip feels different from most others as it requires strenuous hikes and rustic living conditions. Showers where are you? However, the travelers agree that the experience is worth the conditions.

“Despite the showerless weeks, I’m excited to travel and challenge myself with some of my favorite people in the world,” said junior Mackinley Sabol.

The first couple of nights consist of staying in a hotel in Lima, enjoying the culture and architecture of the city as well as the art districts surrounding the city.

“When people in Peru look for something fun, artistic, or bohemian,” says Barranco resident Flor Calderón, whom the group listened to via video, “they end up here.”

The next day the group hops on a small plane and heads out to Cusco and Ollantaytambo, small villages in central Peru that are a launching spot to Machu Picchu, and they spend the night at the Full Moon Hostel.

After the first night at the Full Moon, the group heads to their homestays, which consist of staying with indigenous people on the outskirts of Machu Picchu. While staying with the villagers, the students will get used to different surroundings and trying new things.

“I’m most excited for the homestay,” junior Carleigh Saunders asserted. “I think it is going to be a great learning experience and really show the different lifestyle and culture.”

In addition to staying in their homes and living their cultural experience, the homestay includes training in the language of Quechua and participating in local basket weaving classes. The students will also take several hikes, including one to the ancient ruins of Purmamarca that rise 12,000 feet above sea level.

After this full cultural immersion, the students head back towards their comfort zone. Moving back to modern times, the students travel back to Lima to enjoy different cultural foods while also visiting modern day marvels like the Larco Museum, a local art museum full of ancient, South American art pieces.

While each of these experiences will be unforgettable, the group most looks forward to their visit to Machu Picchu, one of the seven wonders of the world. The students take a train to Machu Picchu, having breakfast together while overlooking the scenery. It will be amazing to see in person what is such a magnificent world artifact.

Though the trip is full of splendor, sightseeing and cultural immersion, there is a significant dose of education in store as well.

“In order to prepare for their departure to Peru,” trip leader and coordinator, Mr. Fluharty said, “the students have met several times to discuss economic, cultural and social issues in the country.”

Mr. Fluharty has taught the students much about Peruvian culture and history, and the information provides a great background and understanding of what they will be living and experiencing.

Despite the challenging conditions with little access to first world commodities and traveling far from home, the students traveling are excited to challenge themselves and to learn more about how far they can push their personal boundaries. The trip will undoubtedly be an unforgettable experience shared with friends.